Monday, October 26, 2009

Lake Atitlan Ecological Crisis in Santa Catarina Palopó


    "Algae and seaweed were the declared enemies of the village! The idea was to remove the algae from the lake. People showed up with plastic baskets, screens, bedsheets for sifting and nets to remove the algae. People were plunging into the water and removing algae with their bare hands. They were diving under water and coming back to the surface with piles of seaweed and algae. People were removing rocks covered in algae from the water. There were people in boats, canoes, and on the docs. They were using rakes, sticks, and paddles. Basically, people were trying to remove the algae any way possible! It was a surreal site to see. It went on for the entire day."
    October 26th, 2009 Santa Catarina Palopó, Sololá Guatemala
    1. Lake Atitlán has been completely engulfed by an algae that produces a potentially toxic bacteria. The level of toxicity is still unknown on this day, however it could be very hazardous to human health.
    2. The press reported the severity of the situation and the possible health problems that could arise from touching the water or algae. Suddenly people around the lake became very alarmed. People were warned not to swim and not to eat the fish.
    3. The mayor of Santa Catarina Palopó announced to the entire village that the lake was dirty and that everybody should go down to the shore to clean it. This blog entry is about what ensued. 


    My Position (before I make my point)

    I live with a Kaqchikel Mayan family in Santa Catarina Palopó and am trying to learn the Kaqchikel language. I've been to Guatemala many times and have spent a lot of time in the country. Before I get to the meat of this blog entry, I would like to state upfront that I care about the people of Guatemala. I feel compassion for them and I am sad to see what's happening to the lake. I am posting this because I feel it is my duty to report what I witnessed today and because I care about the problem. I am not posting this to be malicious, judgmental, or to make myself appear superior. Indeed, I would rather not post this because this could put me in an awkward position with the community where I reside.


    Today I witnessed something shocking, even for me (and I've seen dead people strewn across the street in Guate). I don't know if I'm over reacting or not but I feel that it is my duty to report what I saw. What I saw was sad, a little scary, and bizarre. It demonstrates the true level of ignorance in the community regarding this issue and illustrates the difficulty of the battle ahead. But it is also very hopeful...

    We have a real problem folks!

    Today, around 8:30 in the morning, the alcalde of Santa Catarina announced over loudspeakers to the village, that the lake is very dirty and that everyone in the village should go to the lake shore to help clean it. I can't quote him exactly because my Kaqchikel is very poor but all the people whom I asked said something to that effect. Within an hour the shoreline was full of people. I'm not very good at estimating head counts but I'm pretty sure there were over a hundred. Also, people were coming and going throughout the day.

    Algae and seaweed were the declared enemies of the village! The idea was to remove the algae from the lake. People showed up with plastic baskets, screens, bedsheets for sifting and nets to remove the algae. People were plunging into the water and removing algae with their bare hands. They were diving under water and coming back to the surface with piles of seaweed and algae. People were removing rocks covered in algae from the water. There were people in boats, canoes, and on the docs. They were using rakes, sticks, and paddles. Basically, people were trying to remove the algae any way possible! It was a surreal site to see. It went on for the entire day.



    The participants in the activity were, men, women, teenagers, and children. Every age group and gender was represented. There was a vast turnout from every social strata in the community of Santa Catarina.

    I do not consider myself an enlightened gringo. I am not a scientist nor an ecological expert. I did, however, take some environmental science classes in high-school and in college and I do possess some common knowledge on this subject, because hey, I'm from Minnesota and in Minnesota we know lakes. I tried to stop the people from doing it but I was totally ineffective. I told them there are two primary reasons they shouldn't be trying to remove the algae from the lake:
    1. It won't work. The algae and bacteria feed on the phosphates and nitrates in the water. The phosphates and nitrates come from sewage drainage, runoff from the farms, and soaps etc. These chemicals are food for the bacteria and as long as they are in the water the bacteria will multiply much faster than you can remove it with your hands.
    2. It could be harmful to you! We don't know the level of toxicity of the bacteria but it has the potential to cause many problems.


    I'm just a normal guy. Again, I'm not a scientist nor an ecological expert. The above two points is my understanding of this problem. My understanding is limited and I know I have a lot to learn. Never the less, this “cleanup” seemed totally misguided and wrong to me.

    When I relayed the above two reasons NOT to wade out into the lake and scoop up algae by hand, people listened to me very earnestly. I noticed that people were very sincere and concerned. They are trying to battle the visible and tangible symptom of the disease that has so suddenly become visible to them. They don't understand that the lake has been sick for a long time and that this problem has been growing for years. From their point of view there is suddenly something very wrong and they want to fix it. They just don't know how. Though they listened to me earnestly I was unable to persuade anybody to abandon the work.



    My Conclusion


    In a way it made me very sad to see people running into the water to fix a problem in such a way that in my opinion is totally misguided. It made me even more sad to know that there could be health repercussions for their futile attempt. However these things are not what affected me the most.

    What affected me the most was how much the people seemed to care. The spirit of cooperation between people and their desire to do the right thing was enormous. As people were working they were laughing and making jokes but they also seemed to work with a tremendous sense of urgency. If there's one thing I can be sure of it's this: the people of Santa Catarina Palopó on Lake Atitlán know this is a serious problem and they want to do their part to fix it. There is no doubt about that. The problem is that most of them don't entirely understand what's going on and they don't know what to do about it. Though I am very concerned by what I witnessed today it gives me hope as well.

    There are more photos on flickr.com
    What are your thoughts? Leave your feedback below.

    19 comments:

    1. Can you follow up and see how their health is in the next few days. Congrats on a caring piece in your blog and agaon for learning Kaqchikel. I'm srtill struggling with Spanish. Paz Duende
      www.SaveLakeAtitlan.org

      ReplyDelete
    2. Good report ... to sad to see that the mayor is sending the people to clean the beaches, but it is the same in San Marcos, San Juan, Santa Cruz... If the local mayors would have the capacity to do their job a lot could be done but the corruption is everywhere and prevent the infrastructure needed as sewage plant or waste management facility to be build.
      check these views of the lake
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH7XOQnYIYg

      ReplyDelete
    3. Very Very Sad. I had been there in 1993/94 and it was great - but I could see how the massive influx of back-packers and the need to accomidate them would eventually turn it into a t-shirt / margaritaville. I found another link talking about Panjachel (sp?) had not repaired their treament plant and raw sewage continues to be injected into the water. We (I include myself since I have been there) are hypocrites - believeing that we are some enviromentally friendly back-packer, but when it comes time to sleep, sh#t, eat, drink - we usually don't think about the impact we have to the fragile enviroment.

      This makes me so sad.

      Let's hope this is a serious enough wake-up call to the tourist, locals, and businesses to realize how fragile the enviroment is and that we need to think beyond the short-term need to eat, poop, and sleep and how that can impact the surroundings.

      I can only hope it will get better - because I would hate to see it turn into another stink hole that I have visited around the world, were sewage runs in the streets.

      We stupid humans!

      Good report and good job in keeping us informed.

      ReplyDelete
    4. I have been a witness to the very same efforts here in San Pedro La Laguna. It is so sad to see the urgency within the community to combat this "sudden" sickness that has stricken the lake. I too was unable to persuade the locals from diving in and attempting to remove the algae despite the potential risk. The extranjero populace here in San Pedro has been actively searching for information regarding the status of Lago Atitlan and synthesizing material that we encounter. Information regarding Lago Atitlan and its current blue green algae bloom has been compiled at www.lakeatitlanhealth.com

      ReplyDelete
    5. Same thing happened here in San Pedro La Laguna. Some of the people in the water 2 days ago doing the cleaning are reporting skin irritations and other flu like symptoms.

      ReplyDelete
    6. Hey guys! Thanks for your feedback, videos, and resources. I've been keeping an eye on the health condition of the people in the village. So far I haven't seen anybody get sick here in Santa Catarina. My whole host family and lots of friends were in the water that day and so far they're all fine. I'll let you all know if I hear about anyone here getting sick from the lake.

      ReplyDelete
    7. thank you so much for posting this. this is a very serious problem and it extends beyond just the lake but also to many of the agriculturalist folks around here using chemical fertilizers and pesticides without full knowledge of the repercussions and health risks they are taking. i've talked with some Guatemalans from Xela who were there visiting the lake for Dia de los Difuntos and they were very concerned with the condition in which they found the lake. if you hear of anything we can do to help the situation please post that, too.

      ReplyDelete
    8. Hi Courtney, one way to directly help is to plant tul (the reeds that they use to make mats). Though this in itself isn't going to solve the problem, it will help. The reeds filter the phosphates and nitrates out of the water.

      ReplyDelete
    9. I've been scared out of my wits watching this unfold. I am an Environmental Studies graduate from the University of California. We must prioritize how we go about this clean-up. Absolutely nothing will change until we rebuild the waste water treatment plant in Panajachel. That comes first. Stop the sources of the pollution and then we can talk about what to do next. Carol Anderson, San Pedro La Laguna

      ReplyDelete
    10. I agree with you Carol, however, that by and large depends on the politicians who don't care about human life. They don't care about the health of their own citizens. They don't care about the violence problem in Guatemala. And when I say they don't care, I really want to emphasize the "don't care" part. So, if they don't care that the Guatemalan people are dropping like flies with bullets in their backs, how can you expect them to care about a lake?

      ReplyDelete
    11. This tragedy is another example of an environmental disaster. I've considered doing a write-up on my blog at http://carbonpig.com - Would that be helpful to folks?

      ReplyDelete
    12. Lots of current information about this ever growing tragedy on http://www.lakeatitlanhealth.com

      ReplyDelete
    13. A Short Term Fix, Specifically suited to guarding the population health are simple water purification systems. Because with 98% of all water sources in Guatemala now contaminated. Guatemala is suffering the 4 highest rate of chronic childhood malnutrition world. Its not rocket since to build these systems and with some dedication and effort real change can be seen almost overnight. Improving health saving lives and empower developing communities our facebook site has detailed info on how to build these systems.

      Marcus Huffman
      San Andres Project
      San Andres Itzapa, Guatemala

      http://www.facebook.com/#/marcuslhuffman?ref=profile1.

      ReplyDelete
    14. could you post some of this info in: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/create-online-petition
      we need help from everywhere and anyone... thanks!

      ReplyDelete
    15. It's so incredibly sad to read about the Lake's condition. Another death to a civilization sure to follow, Easter Island II. Why so pessimistic? The government's corruption is so great that there is no chance that the Lake will survive. HOWEVER, PLEASE TELL ME OTHERWISE. I hear that the gov't wants to handle the monies being sent to review the Lake's condition and subsequent cleanup. We know they'll keep most of it for themselves. But is there any hope that this will NOT happen?? I feel for all the true natives of the Lake. Why can't humans do the right thing? I'm tired of hearing that profits rule and how wastewater treatment plants are too expensive and how we must use fertilizer for increased production, etc etc etc. Well, this is what happens.

      ReplyDelete
    16. What happened to the cyanobacteria in Lake Atitlan?
      The cyanobacterium has disappeared from the waters of Lake Atitlan, currently the lake is a lake again clean, clear and transparent waters, is an oligotrophic lake, really incredible but true, is an oligotrophic lake. All the lies told by doctors Rejmankova and Dix, have been answered by the same lake of Atitlan, the lake has been cleaned by natural processes, to speak of Lake Atitlan, first you must know the lake, have lived in the vicinity for many years, having grown up with him. Having a doctorate does not guarantee to tell the truth, here at Atitlan scientists have only come to tell lies and deceive people.

      La India Francisca Ixcol

      ReplyDelete
    17. A world wide campaign is underway to help save Lake Atitlan and its people. Chica's comment above has been confirmed since a reporter working with arcticbeacon recently returned from Atitlan. The green algae has subsided at least on the surface because of the cooler weather, having dipped lower beneath the top waters. This is a typical pattern but doesn't mean the problem is solved. M. Dix is correct in her evaluation. The algae will return when the warmer weather arrives as happened in Lakes such as Lake Varese in Italy. Please contact if you want to get on board this project to help save the lake. email gregbeacon@gmail.com further a study team from the Univ of California Davis is coming down, funding already approved, to search ways to solve this serious problem. Better to be safe than sorry as the say.

      ReplyDelete
    18. Excellent post and commentary. Hope you continue to fill us in... and write to me at CatherineTodd2@gmail.com. I live in Pana half the year and do fundraising for Life School and for the Lake. Hope we can meet if you're still there when I get back in May or August. I live in North Carolina and visit New York the rest of the time. Your blog is a great vehicle to help Lake Atilan; keep up the good work!

      ReplyDelete
    19. If the local mayors would have the capacity to do their job a lot could be done but the corruption is everywhere and prevent the infrastructure needed as sewage plant or waste management facility to be build.
      Penegra Online

      ReplyDelete